Saraswati Vidyalaya was established in 1943 by a group of enlightened and public spirited ladies inspired by Gandhian principles who formed a trust “Istri Shiksha Pracharni Sabha” in 1921 and got it registered in 1932 when the country was struggling to emerge from long dark night of slavery.
The Sabha started Sraswati Vidylaya in its own building ‘Saraswati Bhawan’ located in Darya Gang, Ansari Road, in the heart of the city. The struggle for independence changed the whole set of the society. As such the trust started the Vidyalaya with the aim of providing quality education to the girls from an area where they were mostly confined to their homes only.
The Vidyalaya tried to attract girl students by keeping very low and moderate fee structure and also by providing an opportunity for vocational courses in the afternoon to make them self reliant, self dependent and confident.
The Trust was headed by Mrs. Susheela Sultan Singh who dedicated herself to women’s emancipation and education assisted by a team of dedicated lady workers engrossed in women’s upliftment . The Vidyalaya aimed at providing education to first generation learners from socially backward and orthodox background, which is always a challenge and a thrill.